For the Rainbow Mountain (Montaña de 7 Colores) Tour, it’s necessary to leave very early from Cusco City. We will have all the equipment on board the bus, and the tourist bus will pick you up at approximately 4am.
In order to complete the trip to Qollasuyo / Pampachiri, which is located in the southern part of ancient Quechuan Cusco, our trip will last approximately 3 hours in a tourist bus, leaving from Inka Express Travel.
The bus will take us through the city of Cecacupe, followed by Pitumarca, and finally Pampachiri, the place where we will begin our trip. After a brief chat we will begin the hike at the foot of the snowcapped mountain of Ausangate; the climb will take approximately 2 hours to get to the top of Rainbow Mountain. During this climb, we will have the opportunity to see the distinct varieties of llamas, alpacas, and other traditional South American animals. Once at the top of the mountain, we will have time to take pictures of this enigmatic and spectacular place.
Vinicunca – Rainbow Mountain
Rainbow Mountain is located in a district of Pitumarca, a province of Canchis, which is a region of Cusco in the south of Peru. To the Peruvians, Ausangate is one of the most important mountains.
This picturesque and attractive mountain was part of the route to the mountain of Ausangate, a 4 day walk. As the years passed, this natural marvel captivated travelers, and gained popularity particularly due to its one-of-a-kind rainbow coloring.
Duration and Difficulty of the Rainbow Mountain Trek
- The walk will be between 3 and 4 hours, approximately (depending on factors, like the physical shape of the tourist, and the weather)
- The walk is not dangerous, but it does require moderate to high physical strength
- Some hills on this route are either a bit steep or long
- In some cases, cold weather and ice-cold wind can result in altitude sickness
Before the trip, we recommend:
- You should acclimate to the altitude of Cusco for at least 1 or 2 days before your trip to Rainbow Mountain
- Bring warm clothing for the walk
- Bring snacks with you to complete the trek
The Rainbow Mountain Tour Includes:
- Official tour guide
- First-Aid kits for assistance
- A typical breakfast and lunch
The Rainbow Mountain Tour Doesn’t Include:
- Ticket for entry (10 soles)
- Horse ride
- Personal expenses
- Special deals